So what you have to do is write 1500 words on a given topic, and include plenty of references and notes about it too (1500 again). There are also some constraints that you have to take care of.
- First - the word limits are hard limits - in that you should not exceed them, and there are penalties if you do.
- Second - you need a punchy attention grabbing title of up to 10 words. 10 words!!
- Third - an abstract of 40 words. Again quite mean.
- Then the usual introduction, conclusion, content, and some diagrams/tables/graphs.
- The spread of West Nile virus in North America
- Outbreaks of E. coli infection in the United Kingdom
- The emergence of multidrug-resistant pathogens
Eventually it was all put together, and sent of, with not a little crossing of fingers. Now it's just revision - however there is one extra thing. The exam includes an essay to be written on a topic disclosed in the exam. However the general subject of the essay is given ahead of time for you to research. This year its something to do with C. difficile - so that was lucky!